A two-alarm fire forced the evacuation of an apartment complex at 55 Village Way late Saturday night.
Residents, many dressed in pajamas and wrapped in blankets, stood in the frigid cold as firefighters attacked the blaze from the roof.
The smoke appeared to be coming from a top-floor unit, where a generator in a utility unit appeared to spark, residents said.
Heavy smoke filled the the building, residents said.
One resident, who identified herself only as Cheydie O., described smoke pouring from vents in her unit. She quickly fled with her two young sons, she said.
Resident Wendy MacMillan said she heard a fire alarm and grew concerned when she saw smoke filling a corridor.
As she stood outside, holding her tiny white dog, she worried if her apartment would have heat when she was allowed to go back in.
As crews were clearing the scene, Fire Chief Keith Flaherty said that he did not know if the heat would be working in the building.
Residents were allowed to return inside just before 1 a.m., however there was no heat or hot water, said Jake MacMillan, a relative of Wendy MacMillan.
Some residents coughed as they headed back into the still-smoky building.