The Town of Brookline wishes to remind the community and patrons of the 122nd U.S. Open Championship about traffic and parking changes during the event.
The Town asks motorists seek alternate routes whenever possible, and allow for extra time. Some areas in South Brookline will be difficult to access.
Traffic and road closures
- Thirty-five to 40 traffic detail locations will be staffed by state and local law enforcement agencies throughout South Brookline and Chestnut Hill, to provide for public safety and help keep traffic moving.
- Variable message boards on state highways will be used to encourage use of public transportation.
- The MBTA Route 51 Bus will be rerouted around the area via Hammond Pond Parkway and Route 9.
- School buses will be rerouted through Button Village and continue to have access to and from South Brookline, through agreement with Brookline Public Schools.
- The following streets will be closed through Sunday, June 19, 2022: Lee Street, from Warren Street to Clyde Street; Clyde Street; Newton Street, from Grove Street to Goddard Avenue. Abutting residents, shuttle buses, and public-safety vehicles have been given permits to identify them as being allowed on these streets. Brookline Police and Brookline Fire personnel will have unimpeded access while on calls.
- Newton Street will be one-way from Grove Street to West Roxbury Parkway, though access will not be restricted.
- Access to Button Village will be available via Meadowbrook Road and Sears Road, via Dudley.
- Fifty-three streets will be marked as Resident-Only parking. Police will ticket or tow vehicles based on resident reports or officer observation. A full list of streets is available here.
- Fire lanes will be posted on one side of Lyman Road and Yarmouth Road, to ensure emergency vehicle access on the private ways.
A map of traffic modifications may be found here.
- Most spectators will be transported to The Country Club via shuttle buses that will operate from dedicated drop-off locations on Clyde Street, Newton Street, at Allandale Farm, and at Pine Manor College.
- Shuttle service will be available from satellite parking lots from as close as Dexter Southfield School, which is for pre-assigned parking only, and as far away as Needham / Wellesley.
- The MBTA will provide shuttle service from hubs at the Forest Hills and Cleveland Circle stations, from 6 a.m. into the late evening.
- The driveway of Larz Anderson Park will be available for personal drop-off, taxis, and rideshare services such as Uber or Lyft. Traffic will flow one way from Avon Street to Newton Street.
- Allandale Farm will be used for pre-assigned parking and shuttle bus drop-off.
- Larz Anderson Park will be used for bike parking, rideshare, shuttle drop off and credentialed vehicular parking.
- Robert T. Lynch Golf Course will be used for pre-assigned parking.
About the 2022 U.S. Open
The U.S. Open is the annual open national championship of golf in the United States. It is one of four major championships and is organized by the United States Golf Association.
For more information about the USGA, please visit here.